Thursday 22 March 2012

Personal Reflection

Some further reflections and more solidified answers regarding the main questions raised at mid-assessment:

What is my work?
An innovatie and progressive collection of surfaces.

What are the main processes involved?
Layering, repeat, mark making.

What is the indended use?
However the viewer interprets. I am focusing only on creating new and exciting surfaces, the potential uses and adaptations are endless and are not of my concern at the moment.

How do I intend to display the work?
I intend for the final pieces to be very large in scale compared to my current samples.
These will be hung or suspended - in whatever composition best suits the final works.

Does this reflect my post-uni ambitions?
Yes, I wish to market myself as a surface designer and problem solver. I would potentially like the role of working with manufacturers to invent/reinvent and produce innovative and exciting surfaces (both within and outside the realm of textiles - including plastics/rubbers etc)

After clarifying these main concerns I feel that I have reached a period in my work where there is no reason for self-doubt. I know what I want to produce and why I am doing this - I do not (currently) need to worry about what the final pieces are intened for or how I will display them. I have been too concerned about the presentation of my work and this seems to be taking away from the development and progression of my actual ideas.

From now on I am going to focus on the making of the work. Viewing each piece as an individual which then later makes up part of the collection - as opposed to each sample playing the part of a componant towards a larger, whole piece. The works are to be viewed seperately, therefore I need to ensure that each piece is strong and exciting on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment