Friday 30 March 2012

Easter Holidays

Working with moulding silicone - the risk factor!
Yesterday I produced a sample from silicone in a huge scale. I haven't even sampled other drawings at this scale before so it was quite a risk using a media that I had only experienced once before.

  
5.5 kg moulding silicone

Spread out on print table

Loosely tracing lines from underneath

Once this layer was tacky, I mixed another batch of solution to pour over the top, both sealing in the threads and giving a wet base to add colour to. As with my smaller sample, I used disperse dyes (suitable for synthetic media), to add colour to the piece. This turned out much worse than expected and I left at the end of the day thinking I had wasted a whole day in print (and a lot of money).

However returning to uni today with fresh eyes, removing the silicone from its backing perspex and rolling it up for storage, I noticed that the colours appear a lot nicer together when layered up. This is not the effect I was initially trying to achieve however perhaps I can salvage something from the disaster...


Huge scale - weak/ugly colours!


Folded in half.


No comments:

Post a Comment