Thursday 2 February 2012

Vege-Gel

Continuing my exploration with 'suspending' thread, I decided to choose a more jelly like substance to experiment with: Vege-Gel (A vegetarian alternative to gelatine).

Mix 1 sachet thoroughly in 1 pint of cold water until completely dissolved, then bring to the boil. The mixture is then ready to use - here I poured the mixture into glasses filled with yarns.







Results: The fibres began to come away due to the moisture and this gives the yarns a 'furry' appearance. As I am trying to translate my linear drawings, I do not think this is appropriate - I am trying to achieve bold sharp lines. Using a thread opposed to a yarn would be a good solution for this, as I do not expect thread to respond this way. Regardless, I find the vege-gel to have the aesthetic appearance that I was after - solid yet malleable. I found the ice to be too 'hard'. Ideally I would like to expand this project towards working with transparent latexes and silicones as they have a similar appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment