Monday 23 January 2012

Skott Chandler

Skott Chandler (b. unknown) is a photographer from Southern Utah, USA.

His House Watch project consists of photographs taken in private living spaces using a pinhole camera fixed to the ceiling. About his work, Chandler says:

"The photographs take the perspective of an omniscient voyeur investigating the dynamics of space within a home. Ceiling mounted pinhole cameras cast an unflinching gaze upon the inhabitants and rooms within the walls; not to judge, but to witness" (Chandler, n.d.)


Master Bathroom

Breakfast Nook

Bedroom 3

Bedroom 1

Kitchen 1

Dorm Room

I love the voyeuristic quality to these images. Attaching a camera to the ceiling was something that interested me last term when my project focussed on sleep behavior, however I found it hard to execute which allows me to appreciate Chander's work even more. For me, these images are especially intriguing as they seem to be taken with a relatively short shutter speed (relating to the lack of movement/motion caused by people and pets in the images). This leads me to wonder how the shutter of the camera is controlled, how is the shutter released? 

No comments:

Post a Comment