Wednesday 7 March 2012

Dissolvable Fabric

To translate my drawings into stitch more literally I used the sewing machine to stitch into cold water dissolvable fabric, tracing the lines of photocopies from my work.




Machine stitch on dissolvable fabric.


Immersing the fabric into a tray of PVA Glue.

*As this dissolvable fabric works in cold water,
the fibres disappeared very effectively in the glue*



PVA Removed from the tray once dry


Results: I really like the results of this technique, the construction of the stitch is really visible which breaks up the line and contrasts against the linear aspect of the piece - opposing the otherwise crisp lines of my other developments. The dissolvable fabric has completely disappeared leaving the stitch completed suspended on it's own within the glue, yet it does not appear that the surface has been stitched into - it is obvious that the threads are trapped inside. 

So far my only concern with this is that the dull surface of the tray has impacted the surface of the PVA glue. Glue that I have previously peeled away from Kodatrace and Acetate has a high gloss, shiny surface whereas the glue here appears matte and more opaque than usual.  To combat this in future developments I may start to pour the PVA onto glass surfaces so that it inhibits the smooth surface.


No comments:

Post a Comment